Re: Removing redundant kernels

Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
Following updates I find I have several redundant kernels and corresponding entries in GRUB. Is there a preferred method of removing these, once I have established stability with later versions, or is my first thought of 'rm'ing the relevant files and editing menu.lst good enough?

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. It's an experimental system and I installed the kernels 'accidentally' via Synaptic Reload/Mark all Updates/Apply, so I had no direct involvement in choosing specific kernel packages. No doubt I'll find them in the Synaptic listing somewhere.

If I might pose a supplementary question, can anyone suggest why the default kernel on my AMD Athlon 3200+ is a '-486' version whereas on a Pentium III it's a '-686' version: this is directly from system installation. My understanding of the hardware is that the AMD processor is fully compatible with the Pentium IV and therefore a '-686' kernel would seem appropriate.

At the moment this question is purely academic, but any daylight would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Peter HB