Re: laptop install and drivers

On (03/11/06 08:56), ChadDavis wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
> >If you have a wired ethernet connection, I wouldn't worry about the
> >wireless card until you've completed the install.  You can then have the
> >advantage of an x-window environment to get wireless sorted - it can be
> >a bit tricky.
> >
> >If your kit is fairly recent then you may need the etch (testing) or
> >sid(unstable) .iso.  Either of those should recognise your NIC if sarge
> >(stable) doesn't.  I would use the netinst.iso which is typically less
> >than 150Mb; once you do the basic install all the remaining packages are
> >downloaded off the net as you need them.
> >
> >Check out the fine installation manual for your architecture.
> >
> If I go with the testing or unstable version, how unstable is the system?
> This is intended to be a work machine, so I can't really afford to suffer
> many crashes.

Until you're used to debian, you're better off with stable but many
people once they are comfortable with the debian way of doing things
will use sid on their main workstation (not servers).  In relative
terms, testing and unstable are fairly stable; I've been using sid for
three years having spent a few months on stable but got frustrated with
the age of some of the packages.  However, an understanding of aptitude
and having apt-listbugs installed, greatly reduces the risk of breakage.

Etch will be the next stable (probably in December) and so it is getting
close to being stable enough for a release candidate. Consequently, the
risk of breakage is greatly reduced.  On balance, I'd recommend etch and
sticking with it once it becomes stable until you feel compelled/drawn
to try sid.  I suspect the install will be easier than sarge.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...