Re: Window managers-which one?

* Clive Menzies (clive@clivemenzies.co.uk) wrote:

> > I went pretty much the same way, but then one day I thought fluxbox was
> > kind of slow to draw menus etc... And I found openbox! It's fast, looks
> > just like fluxbox, except that it doesn't have the extra fluff. :-)
> > You may want to give it a try.
>
> Well another convert :)  openbox is almost as functional but without the
> extra 'fluff'  as you say.  It also seems more predictable in terms of
> behaviour.  fluxbox used to do some strange things when trying to
> 'stick' gkrellm to every workspace.

I like Openbox a lot, though I wish it had desktop warping, but since
using Debian Etch I cannot get it to work right.  Any panel I use, so
far I have tried fbpanel and pypanel, seems to swallow any windows
permanently.  If I minimize a window I cannot click on the button and
restore it.  I tried compiling the apps myself but nothing seemed to
change.  Oddly, it is being able to use things like pypanel which is
what I prefer about Openbox.

Patrick