Re: New LCD Monitor

Raquel wrote:
I'm running Sarge.  I've just gotten a new 19-inch LCD screen
because my current monitor is going.  I'm going to want to hook up
and configure (X11) the new monitor.  Do I need to know anything
special when configuring for it?
You'll need to tell the xorg configuration dialogue:

   -> the native resolution of the monitor (likely 1280 x 1024)

   -> the horizontal scan rate range, in Hz

   -> the vertical refresh rate range, in kHz

-> the fact that the monitor is an LCD (which determines whether sub-pixel text rendering is done)

Note that the horizontal scan rate range of the monitor may be different in digital mode than it is in analogue mode; specify the digital value only if you are connecting to a video card with a digital output; this requires a special cable.

By the way, LCD monitors typically have a on/off switch on the front panel and a "vacation" switch on the rear. The front-panel switch turns off the backlight, but some of the circuitry remains powered-up; but the vacation switch is equivalent to unplugging the monitor.

The backlight of a monitor has a relatively short life (on the order of 10,000 to 20,000 hours), and is relatively expensive. Accordingly, the front panel switch should be used daily, if not more frequently.

But, for best longevity, some manufacturers recommend that the vacation switch be used only when the monitor is to be shutdown for a span of many days. In other words, in order to maximize life of the unit, do not unplug an LCD monitor, do not turn off the UPS which powers the monitor, and do not turn off the vacation switch more frequently than is necessary.

RLH