opennms and postgresql issues

This is not strictly a debian question but since collectively the experience here is large I'm hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have installed opennms 1.2.3-1 on Debian and it has been running extremely stable for about the last 20 months or so. Adding nodes, polling for new nodes, managing/unmanaging interfaces, everything was humming along. Since I was the only one looking at the alarms, etc, I was never particularly concerned with "tuning" the discovery so that it would not monitor unnecessary items, nor was I concerned with removing these items because with a glance I still knew where I had problems. Several weeks ago that situation changed and I went in to do the aforementioned tuning. ie, removing networks from discover, deleting nodes that did not need to be monitored, unmanaging interfaces that were no longer in use, enabling snmp on all nodes so that opennms could make heads or tails of what was a router and thus group interfaces properly. This all seemed to work great and I went about my business. However this week I have discovered that I cannot delete nodes any longer, nor can I add new nodes. I have done some digging in the opennms database and it appears that the node table is locked and will not allow new entries or allow deletion of existing entries. I am not an expert on postgresql by any stretch but I have tried the following command and it just hangs

delete from node where nodeid=19;

I can ctrl-c out of this so the command isn't hung, it just doesn't appear to be getting a response from the db engine. A similar command worked to delete obsolete interfaces from the ifservices table (one node in particular had 3700 entries with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 - not sure where those came from but it is probably related).

Finally, once and if I get this issue fixed I need to go into the events table and delete all history prior to 10/1/2006. This is basic sql stuff so if someone has a good sql reference that they can point me to, I would appreciate that.

Thanks for your help.

Craig Russell