Re: painful accidental Xorg upgrade

Jim McCloskey wrote:
Hello. I spent several hours this evening dealing with the
consequences of an unintended Xorg upgrade, and I thought it might be
worth reporting here in case others could learn from my experience.

The upgrade was unintended only in the sense that all I really wanted
to do was upgrade k3b:

  apt-get -u -t testing install k3b

But that upgrade took out my xserver completely (without a warning
that I saw at least) and so (obviously) X wouldn't start. When I
realized what was wrong, I tried to fix that with:

  apt-get -u -t testing install xorg

That done, when I tried to start X again, I ran into the same problem
as had been reported as Bug #390772. I tracked that down through the
Debian bug-reports database, and removed the line:

  ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

which had been carried forward into the new xorg.conf.

Even after this, though, X still wouldn't start. It complained:

  Fatal server error:
  could not open default font 'fixed'

After a lot of messing around, I managed to fix this by hand-editing
xorg.conf and adding to it, essentially, the contents of the directory
/usr/share/fonts/X11/ (in the "Files" section)---information which had somehow not made it into the auto-generated xorg.conf.

The next problem was that gdeskcal (a little app that I'm fond of)
wouldn't start, complaining about a missing gtk module. 15 or 20
minutes spent googling led to the solution for that problem---install
python-gtk2 (though that was not a dependency on the gdeskcal package).

So on Sid checking on the installation of this gdeskcal, that has been reported before on the list as interesting, it wants to remove alien!

Better wait (TM) with gdeskcal...