fstab entries for external USB hard drives led to fsck.ext3 failure on boot, bug?

I am writing in follow-up to an earlier message called
'F!3@$%ing fsck! On boot it dies... yet drive okay?!?' which can be
found here:

and the follow-up:
     (thanks David for your comments)

I haven't figured-out exactly what the problem is.  However, I
have narrowed it down and more-or-less resolved it for the
time being.

On booting my Debian system got something like:
---------
[sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /mnt/mdk] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hda11
/dev/hda11: clean, 5765/130048 files, 1425960/2596497 blocks
Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x309 of format 3.6 with standard journal
Blocks (total/free): 200800/192582 by 4096 bytes.
Filesystem clear.
Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x30a of format 3.6 with standard journal
Blocks (total/free): 200800/192582 by 4096 bytes.
Filesystem clear.
fsck died with exit status 9
File system check failed.
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable.
Please repair the file system manually.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot.
Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):
---------

My '/etc/fstab' was as follows:
---------
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda2       /mnt/transfer   vfat    rw,user,noexec,umask=0000 0       2
/dev/hda3       /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda5       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
/dev/hda6       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda7       /usr            reiserfs defaults        0       2
/dev/hda8       /var            reiserfs defaults        0       2
/dev/hda9       /tmp            reiserfs defaults        0       2
/dev/hda10      /home           reiserfs defaults        0       2
# /dev/hda11      /mnt/media      reiserfs defaults        0       2
# /dev/hda11      /mnt/mdk        reiserfs defaults       0       2
/dev/hda11      /mnt/mdk        ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom    iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdc        /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/winxp      ntfs    ro,user,noexec,umask=022  0       0
/dev/sda1       /mnt/external   vfat    rw,user,noauto,noexec,umask=0000       0       2
/dev/sda2       /mnt/f_external ext3    rw,user,noauto,noexec    0       2
/dev/sda3       /mnt/g_external ext3    rw,user,noauto,noexec    0       2
---------

When I "commented-out", i.e. added a "#" infront of the '/dev/sda2' and
'/dev/sda3' entries in the fstab file the error did NOT occur.

What this implies is 'fsck.ext' is failing on '/dev/sda2' and '/dev/sda3'
despite that they aren't being mounted.  The "noauto" option in the fstab
file (briefly discussed here
-- http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/Raven/EyeView/SSR05/SSR05-09.htm )
is a setting that I thought should avoid this problem but it
(1) does NOT avoid the failure of fsck and
(2) the error message deliver by 'fsck' ---- 'exit status 9' (a combination
    of 'exit status 1' and 'exit status 8', which are "File system errors
    corrected" and "Operational error" respectively) does NOT suggest a
    problem with '/dev/sda2' and/or '/dev/sda3'.

There is either a subtility I do not understand about external drives/mount in /etc/fstab
  --OR--
there is a bug in 'fsck.ext3'.

The objective of the last two line in my fstab i.e.:
-----
/dev/sda2       /mnt/f_external ext3    rw,user,noauto,noexec 0       2
/dev/sda3       /mnt/g_external ext3    rw,user,noauto,noexec 0       2
-----
were to allow me to quickly mount an external hard drive (after plugging-in)
with the two following commands:
-----
# mount /dev/sda2
# mount /dev/sda3
-----
as described at the following URL under the heading "MOUNT EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE":
http://individual.utoronto.ca/bonert/debian_install.html

If the above fsck.ext3 failure is due to nothing but ignorance of fstab
settings on my part I have the following to say:
(1) the fsck.ext3 error messages leave a little bit to be desired
(2) the default behaviour of a debian install should be allow writing
    of the error file in '/var/log/fsck/checkfs' or another location
    (i.e. /tmp).  It seems a bit sloppy to me that some executables
    (fsck.ext3) in debian on boot try to write to a position to which
    they ordinarily do not have adequate permissions.

Michael

System/Hardware
Toshiba Satellite A20 -- A20-31Q: 2.53GHz (PSA20C-0231Q)
Processor: Intel Pentium IV, 2.53GHz
Memory: 512 MB
Install log: http://individual.utoronto.ca/bonert/debian_install.html

Debian GNU/Linux release: testing
Kernel: Linux version 2.6.11-1-686 (dannf@firetheft) (gcc version 3.3.6
        (Debian 1:3.3.6-6)) #1 Mon Jun 20 22:00:38 MDT 2005
Desktop: KDE 3.5.5

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl