Re: mrxvt and unicode locale

On 11/1/06, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
I tried setting my locale to unicode as is the default with a new debian
install and set a unicode font with mrxvt

Man pages show a bunch empty rectangles for some characters which are not drawn
correctly and it won't show hebrew text (which shows up as junk as it seems
that it's attempted to be drawn as iso-8859-8 instead of unicode).

Is it possible to solve this?

Thanks

There was a thread about this just a short time ago, but what it
comes down to is mrxvt doesn't do unicode at this time. You could
use rxvt-unicode, but you lose the tabs of mrxvt. I don't know what
window manager/desktop environment you use, but you could switch
to Fluxbox which allows all windows to be tabbed. Fluxbox could even
be used with Gnome (not sure about KDE).

You could keep using mrxvt if you dump unicode, or use something
else until mrxvt supports unicode (although I have no idea when that
would be).

Oh, I just double checked the other thread, and someone said that
rxvt-unicode supports tabs via a perl extension.

If you switch to rxvt-unicode, there is another thread that might
be of interest:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_frm/thread/8ea5277c1b2c6f50

Cheers,
Kelly