Re: document processing

Douglas Tutty writes:

> I'm revisiting how I make documents.  I have been using lout since I
> started with linux in 2000 but it has the following shortcomimgs:

I would recommend DocBook.

> 	Difficult to change things like margins

With DocBook this isn't as straightforward as with WYSIWYG editors,
but possible adjusting (or creating new) style-sheets.

> 	Can't make html

docbook2html

> 	plain text output has blank lines that must be edited.

I tried now with docbook2txt on an document here and the output
doesn't have more blank lines than needed (to separate paragraphs and
sections).

> My primary use is for letters and notes but also larger projects.  I
> don't like wysiwyg.  I want to be able to make: ps, pdf, txt, html.

docbook2ps, docbook2pdf, docbook2txt and docbook2html help with that.

> Something like DebianDoc seems overkill for a letter.

Yes I agree.

> I want something that is simple, probably a markup language, but without
> excessivly long tags or difficulty changing things like margins for
> non-html output.

> What do people find works well?

I have used DocBook for years, mainly to write technical documentation
and it suits perfectly my needs.

HTH,

--
--Jhair