Re: GPL Parental Controls

You should not need a separate machine to run DansGuardian (and e.g. > tinyproxy). They'll run on the "main" machine and you would simply need > to point your browser to the "localhost" proxy. > > Of course there is nothing to stop your daughter reconfiguring the > browser to bypass DansGuardian, but I'm assuming this isn't likely > (yet!). To fix that you _would_ need a separate proxy machine.
That can work effectively. I set up something like this for clients in a homeless shelter a while ago. To prevent people changing the preferences in Mozilla (or Firefox), from the local host proxy, to direct internet connection, I locked this feature in Mozilla. See http://www.alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/locked.html for details how to do this. Also, check out the thread where I was struggling with this issue, at http://oldsite.debianhelp.org/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-9774-highlight-shelter.html

Basically, create a mozilla.cfg from the first site I mentioned, and then edit the /etc/mozilla/prefs.js file. I can't recall the exact details, unfortunately, and the thread doesn't mention them either. But, I did get enough clues from that forum thread to figure it out. Assuming you've no other browser besides Mozilla or Firefox, then the proxy with Dansguardian will be locked in.

Mark