What is the Debian way to set ethernet media

I have a system which is connected to a CISCO switch which is set not to
auto-negotiate, and at the server end I have an ethernet port which needs
the tg3 driver.  I need to set the media to 100baseTx-FD but it seems to
default to 100baseTx-HD.  The CISCO switch is set to FD.

As far as I can tell there are no parameters that I can specify on the tg3
module to set the media to FD.

If I issue a mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth1 manually it seems to accept
the FD, but if I put it in the /etc/network/interfaces file in a pre-up
or up I end up with HD.

So what is the right incantation?

David