Re: Etch/Cupsys/Gutenprint - failure to communicate

Matthew Krauss wrote:
José Alburquerque wrote:
José Alburquerque wrote:
Matthew Krauss wrote:
Hi,

On a clean new Etch install, I can't seem to see any Gutenprint printer drivers (ie. the Canon iP4000) from any Cupsys printer setup tool (ie. gnome-cups-manager, http://localhost:631). I have cupsys, cupsys-driver-gutenprint, and foomatic-db-gutenprint installed. Plenty of printer drivers show up, but none of them seem to be Gutenprint drivers. I have also tried upgrading to the cupsys in Sid. I have googled endlessly.

Help?!

Thanks much,
Matthew
In case this might help, here's a list of the gutenprint packages installed on my sid system:

[07:48][jose@sweety:~]$ dpkg -l | grep -i guten | cut -d' ' -f 3
cupsys-driver-gutenprint
foomatic-db-gutenprint
ijsgutenprint
libgutenprint2
libgutenprintui2-1

Also, by reading the package description, I found that if you want to be able to select your printer from the web interface of CUPS, you'll probably want to have the 'foomatic-filters-ppds' package installed. HTH.
What's really weird is that I don't see your printer or mine (Epson Stylus C82) on the list of drivers using gnome-cups-manager or the cups web interface. I do see both the Canon iP4000 and the Stylus C82 using the foomatic-gui. Here are the foomatic packages on my system:

[07:48][jose@sweety:~]$ dpkg -l | grep -i fooma | cut -d' ' -f 3
foomatic-db
foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-gutenprint
foomatic-db-hpijs
foomatic-filters
foomatic-filters-ppds
foomatic-gui
python-foomatic
Thanks José, I forgot to mention that foomatic-gui recognizes the driver -- but at least for me, foomatic-gui won't set it up in a way that actually, you know, works and stuff.

This is why I titled the post "... failure to communicate" -- it looks like Cupsys and Gutenprint (or maybe Cupsys and Foomatic?) are effectively not communicating.

Yes, I have all those exact same packages installed, actually.

Looks like you and I have the same problem. At least I'm not alone in this :)

Something you may find useful: I can (and have) actually set up the printer using an entirely incorrect driver. This doesn't let *me* print -- but it does let me share the printer so the Windows machine on my network can print to it just fine.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Anyone?

(..crickets chirping..)

If nobody has any idea what is causing this, and bearing in mind this is on a fresh Etch install, should a bug report be filed? If so, should I file it? If so, um, how?

Many Thanks,
Matthew