Re: reading MS word files

* David Jardine <david@jardine.de> [2006 Nov 01 03:52 -0600]:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:30:31PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * Gnu_Raiz <Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com> [2006 Oct 31 17:32 -0600]:
> >
> > > I kind of see this as the same type of thing as top posting, no matter how
> > > many times you tell them, or post links to why its bad they still do it.
> > > After about five e-mail returns they complain that my e-mails are hard to
> > > read and want to start another subject.  So they start another subject, and I
> > > fill in the other e-mail Yeah I know it's mean. I also tell them they can
> > > trim my e-mails, but do they nope! Then if it's really important and I bottom
> > > post sometimes they don't even bother to read it, because they think it's a
> > > duplicate.
> >
> > If they have the misfortune to use an MUA that fiercely forces its
> > users to top post *cough*Lotus Notes*cough*, then they will do that
> > elsewhere and believe it is "proper".
>
> Off topic: How does Lotus Notes fiercely force its users to top post?
> I don't know Lotus Notes, so that's a not a rhetorical question.

Any time one selects Reply With History (essentially including the
message you're replying to), it includes the entire message, does not
quote it, and puts the cursor and space above the included message.
It's a royal pain to edit it any other way as accidentally deleting the
wrong special character removes the entire included message and one
practically has to start all over.  Those special markers exist at the
beginning and end of the included message.  It does not quote the
message as is known in Mutt and other MUAs.

So, the majority of users don't fight it and one literally must read a
message that has been forwarded/replied to multiple times from the
bottom up, scrolling up and down to read it in proper context.
Management types love Notes for some reason.  Anyone with a clue knows
that it's hideously brain dead.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of