Re: how to send command over ethernet

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 04:20:53PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> I have 2 PCs, connect to each other by ethernet, both running Linux. How to send command from one
> PC to the other? I have only one monitor. Will output return from that PC?

When you have set everything up, you'll sit at the computer with
the monitor, log into the other computer, and type your commands.
The commands will be executed on the other computer but you will
see all the output on the monitor.

To set it up you need the "ssh" package installed on both machines.
How did you install debian on the two machines in the first place?
Did you unplug the monitor from one machine and then plug it into the
other one?  If ssh isn't installed, you'll have to do the same
again.  Run

$ sudo apt-get install ssh

on both machines.  Read the manpages

$ man ssh
$ man sshd

Read the manpage

$ man ssh_config

to see how to configure ssh on the machine you'll be working from, and

$ man sshd_config

to see how to configure sshd on the machine you'll want to log into.

And have fun!

Cheers,
David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)