Re: Window managers-which one?

Thank you for all the replies and good explanations, and a bit of a laugh.

Jochen Schulz wrote:

Yes and No. A WM is supposed to, well, manage windows (or give the user
the chance to do it). Typically this includes:

* place windows somewhere on the desktop (may be interactive)

* decorate windows with titlebars, borders, action buttons (minimize,
  maximize, close etc.). Of course the window decoration (not the
  content!) may be "themed".

Jochen: Does this mean that the Themes in Gnome for window frames (Crux etc.) are really metacity themes and were not available if metacity was not installed?

George Borisov wrote:

Not sure why you need Gnome in the first place. If you are happy
with Xfce (do you mean Xfce4?) then you can just do (after
installing the base system and Xserver):

Yes I mean Xfce4. Xfce for me is now just a faster better Gnome. It's getting amazingly full featured and with Zenwalk and Vector standard and some other distros showcasing it it really shines.
I liked Gnome and most of its apps a lot but lately found it rather slow. The journey just started, probably will end up with only something like blackbox like you guys one day. ;-)

If you want even less bloat then you can install Xfce4 components
individually (takes a bit more effort).

Nice to end up with only what you want and nothing more. Got fluxbox on a small DSL partition but for now it's Xfce on the main desktop. Plus - how do you get icons to display on your fluxbox work space?

What about Sawfish?

--
Kind Regards,
B. Hoffmann