Re: ethernet howto

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:02:25AM +1100, M-L wrote:
> I want to just share files between two laptops and have cat 5e crossover cable
> to do this with ethernet cards in each lappy.

> Have googled endlessly and found a heap of stuff that wants me to put it
> through a hub with different cabling and wants me to share a modem and all
> sorts of stuff like this. Nothing simple and how I can then access each
> computer.
>

> Can someone please give me a hint where I can find a simple howto to do this.

You may be having trouble because its so simple (and historically
fundamental to UNIX-like OSs).  I think everything you need is in the
debian-reference and anything that's not is in the networking howto.

Hooking up the cross-over cable takes care of the hardware.
Ensure that each computer recognizes its ethernet card.
Edit /etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces on each computer
	(you'll have to pick a network, I would suggest 192.168.1.1 and
	192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255 broadcast 192.168.1.255)

Reboot both (you could do it without but this is simplest).
Type ifconfig on each and you should see eth0
from lappy1: ping lappy2
from lappy2: ping lappy1
set up ssh on both
then use scp, the shvfs of mc, sftp, or whatever to actually transfer
	the files.

Remember, read the debian-reference.

Doug.