Re: Any dash fans out there?

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 06:34:07PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to build some more functionality into dash, and take out some
> stuff that isn't needed to have it act pretty much just as a very
> lightweight script interpreter.
>
> I'd also like to play around with fcgi and dash, so it doesn't have to
> fork each time and can more or less be used as a service to process
> scripts, or help a basic cluster interconnect work a bit closer to real
> time.
>
> I've done some, but my C is absolutely nowhere near the caliber it needs
> to be to do everything I want to do. I've done stuff already like taking
> out checking for mail, messages, etc, and other things you really don't
> need in a super light version.
>
> I'd like to do a little more with it because its so useful in so many
> places where memory use and dentry are a major concern, such as small
> memory systems or very small Xen domain-0 hosts.
>
> Does anyone with a slightly better than basic grasp of C have some free
> time they'd like to throw at it? Its a worthwhile effort and would be
> fun. It seems like many Debian inclined OSS tinker-ers have put their
> efforts in something related to Xen (a much more worthwhile effort than
> this silly little hack I may add).
>
> Anyway, I thought I'd toss out the idea. It would help many things go
> just a little bit faster for many people.
>
> Best,
Hi Tim,
I would suggest you head over to lists.debian.org and location the
'embedded' mailing lists (emdebian?). They maybe interested. And
possibly other folks using slow archs like m68k? Would they also be the
same folks working on busybox?

I recall DD's thinking about making init scripts of the Debian
system use only certain interpreters in  'Essential:' and maybe
making them use 'dash' (to speed things) instead of expecting bash
but it did not reach a consencus.
cheers,
Kev