Re: automount usb-storage..??

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 23:47:08 -0700, Brad Brock wrote:

> [...]

There might be a slight misunderstanding: KDE does not really automount
usb devices in the strict sense of the word. What happens is that an
icon pops up on your desktop after you insert a pluggable device or
removable media, but it is not mounted. After you click on the icon the
device/media will be mounted and opened in konqueror. (You can also
configure other actions, e.g. staring a media player if you insert an
audio CD.)

As Oguz has already pointed out, you will need udev, dbus and hal. In
addition to that it is advisable to install the pmount package and to
add your user to the plugdev group. (Then you will not need /etc/fstab
entries for the USB sticks.) If these packages are installed you should
be able to activate the desktop icons in "K-Menu > Control Center >
Desktop > Behavior > Device Icons". The settings for different types of
media can be tuned in "Peripherals > Storage Media"; there should also
be a dialog if you insert a given type for the first time after
activating the icons.

If you still cannot get it to work you should post the output of

dpkg -l udev\* hal\* dbus\* pmount

so that we can check if you have the correct versions of all necessary
packages installed.

--
Regards,
          Florian