Re: gxine and real on BBC radio

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:39:03PM -0700, libre fan wrote:
> I think that HelixPlayer is a free Linux player for realmedia files and
> streams.

Helixplayer is a free player, but it doesn't have the proprietary codecs
used for Realmedia streams, and can't play them.

Realplayer effectively is Helixplayer, but with those extra codecs
included, IIRC.

> Helix is helpless, in my experience. Has anybody here used it to their
> satisfaction to listen to the BBC?

It's unlikely that you'll be able to, unless someone convinces the BBC
to switch to mp3 or ogg. I really do wish they would. These days, I tend
to use their Windows Media streams, when they provide them.

gxine & real streams (I'm on broadband), unless there's a bit of
congestion, at which point it gets completely out of sync and has to be
restarted.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
A look at Ubuntu Server Edition: