From: Kevin B. McCarty [mailto:kmccarty@Princeton.EDU]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 3:31 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Minimal X-Windows Setup

Stephen Yorke wrote:

> I have tried the EXACT listing you have here but it still puts on all
> the xserver-xorg-video-* stuff...I do not know exactly how much
overhead
> these packages add but I would really rather using just the VESA
driver
> and remove the rest...but a question about that...how do I force the
> usage of just the VESA driver?

If you're using aptitude or apt-get at the command line, try putting
xserver-xorg-video-vesa at the beginning of the list, like this:

aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg [...]

or else just install xserver-xorg-video-vesa FIRST and then all the
other stuff in a second run.

The trick here is that the -vesa package Provides "xserver-xorg-video".
 So if you install xserver-xorg-video-vesa FIRST, then xserver-xorg's
dependency on "xserver-xorg-video-all | xserver-xorg-video" is satisfied
without APT having to pull in xserver-xorg-video-all (a meta-package
that, as its name says, pulls in every video driver).

Similarly you can specify a particular package that Provides
"xserver-xorg-input" to prevent the xserver-xorg-input-all meta-package
from pulling in all the input drivers.  Just make sure you know exactly
which one you need!  And if you change your hardware in the future,
remember that you may need to install new -video-<something> and/or
-input-<something> packages to suit.

best regards,