X programs inside chroot

Greetings!

I have setup an i386 chroot (sarge) on my amd64 (also sarge) on my
laptop. However I cannot run X programs inside. I get the error can't
open display: :0.0.

I get the error from xterm and OpenOffice.

I have mount /proc inside the chroot.

At first I thought it may have been a permission problem, so I ran
xhost + on the X server to disable access control.

Can anyone help me out here?

Oh, I build the chroot using:

cdebootstrap -f minimal --arch i386 sarge /chroots/sarge-ia32
http://apt.lan0:9999/debian

I then mounted /proc inside the chroot, copied /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/apt/sources.list.

I then chrooted (chroot /chroots/sarge-ia32), installed openoffice and
xterm.

TIA
James richardson