Re: (end of) Development and documentation in Debian

Regarding the status of the elisp-manual in testing:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/elisp-manual/news/20060805T210823Z.html

FYI: The status of the elisp-manual source package
in Debian's testing distribution has changed.

 Previous version: 21-2.8-2
 Current version:  (not in testing)
 Hint: <http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/vorlon>
   # 20060802
Bug #374571: [NONFREE-DOC:GFDL1.1olisfcbc] elisp-manual contains non-free material

You said:
Even if someone else wants to take over and update it, it might be impossible to do so because of the license.

The situation you describe is exactly what the GFDL was designed to avoid. I don't understand how the GFDL prevents you from updating a manual. Using the elisp manual as an example, you are free to update or change absolutely everything in the manual, provided you maintain a few invariant paragraphs relating to copying the document. In effect, you can change everything except the sections that explain terms of the license.

I understand there have been some situations where an author attempted to undermine the license by declaring an entire document to be invariant. This is clearly not the case here, though.

To a certain extent I understand where the concerns come from, but it seems misplaced to lump documentation produced with the express purpose of being Free Documentation in the same category as proprietary code.

Tyler