In House Incremental Backup System - bash script

Hi,

I've got to upgrade our backup system (bash script) that currently uses
rsync to backup two sites to a storage server.

Currently rsync is used to do an incremental copy of the data and then
we archive it using tar. Unfortunately, the archives are now taking up a
huge amount of hdd space.

What I am looking for is a pointer so that we still use rsync to copy
the data, but rather than archive the entire backup, we have a tar file
for each days differences.

Ideally, we would be able to insert the differences (file names only!)
into a mysql db so we can recover files quickly.

I looked into various options, but wondered if anyone might have a
pointer to enable us to do this.

Thanks,

Haga