xlibs in etch

I recently upgraded from sarge to etch, and I have been able to
get almost everything working, but I tried to upgrade to a newer
version of vlc, and it says:
---
The following packages are BROKEN:
  vlc wxvlc
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3237kB of archives. After unpacking 9294kB will be used.
  wxvlc: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not installable
  vlc: Depends: libdvbpsi2 which is a virtual package.
       Depends: libflac4 which is a virtual package.
       Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not installable
---

When I try to install xlibs, it says:
---
No candidate version found for xlibs
---

I uninstalled the old version of vlc as part of my attempt to get
the new one to install, and I can't even get the old (sarge)
version to reinstall.

Any suggestions?