Re: How to Totally!! nuke X11?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:21:24PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
} > This is the primary benefit I keep hearing about for aptitude over apt-get.
}
} Then why not add a "apt-get remove --deps" flag which does it like aptitude
} (or at least, behaves similarly, maybe using something like deborphans)?
}
} The main problem I have with Debian package management is the number of
} different tools.

Well, the different tools do different things. APT is a framework. It sits
on top of dpkg, which is responsible for managing installed packages or
package files. Aptitude, dselect, Syntaptic, apt-get, apt-cache, and others
use APT to know what packages are available for installation, how to get
them, and a variety of information about them. They use dpkg to install and
remove them, however. (For those who are more familiar with RPM-based
distributions, dpkg is analogous to rpm and APT is analogous to YaST or
yum.)

} Pet peeve: `dpkg -l foobar' may tell me that foobar doesn't exist, yet
} `apt-get install foobar' will download and install it.  This is particularly
} annoying when you don't know the name of the package, so you do `dpkg -l
} \*foo\*' and it tells you there's no such thing.  Why not have a `apt-get
} list' or something like that?  Or does it exist already?

apt-cache search

Use dpkg to tell you about and manipulate packages that are
installed on your system. Use the APT suite (apt-get and apt-cache,
primarily) to tell you about and manipulate available packages.

}         Stefan
--Greg