Re: How to Totally!! nuke X11?

T wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:41:05 -0500, Kent West wrote:

Problem is, nothing I do will completely purge it. aptitude ...

apt-get and dselect have been similarly useless for this task.

how did you do?

Well, this was on a university lab machine that hadn't been updated in a semester or so, so I ran into other problems also, such as the apt-cache limit. The normal tricks didn't get around that problem, and between fighting that problem and the X11 problem, I wound up horking the machine royally.

This machine is dual-boot, and I already had the Windows side updated, now I was trying to update the Sid side, so I could copy the image off that box and then blow it down to the other 20 or so machines in the lab.

I finally just gave up and moved to a second machine, updated the Debian side, then used my imaging software to move over the relevant partitions from the second machine having an up-to-date Debian side and out-of-date Windows side, to the first machine having an up-to-date Windows side but hosed Debian side.

The first machine now works again properly; I'll do another few tweaks to both sides, and then spread the joy to the other lab machines.

In other words, I never solved my problems. I cheated.

Thanks, though!

--
Kent