Re: Incorrect version of xserver-xorg in unstable

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 11:15 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> >An upload of xserver-xorg 1:1.1.1-3 was incorrectly made to unstable
> >today. The intended target was experimental.  The correct current
> >version for unstable is 1:1.0.2-9.
> >

> Thanks for the notice, Drew. Unfortunately, I've already been bit.

Sorry about that.

> I thought I'd try the experimental drivers, but when I go to that site,
> I see a package named xorg-xserver, but not one named xserver-xorg.
>
> Has the name of the package changed?

The X11R7 video drivers go by the names xserver-xorg-video-*, you'd want
to seek the one matching your video card of course.

xserver-xorg is a meta package which pulls in other required components
and help configure X.  xserver-xorg-core is the package containing the
executable Xorg server itself, the one affected by the mistaken upload.

> Also, this package in experimental is 1:1.1.1-3, so it seems that just
> grabbing this package from the site is no different than the unstable
> version. Can I then assume that when you say "grab your new video driver
> from experimental" you really mean "grab your new driver and any other
> necessary bits for it to work from experimental"? I suspect my best
> course of action is to downgrade to Testing's version.

Yes, I did mean "and any other necessary bits for it to work from
experimental", sorry if that wasn't clear.

By now you shouldn't need to downgrade to testing's version since a new
version of the old version has now been uploaded to unstable,
2:1.0.2-10.  This repairs the mistaken upload, overturning my warning
email.  Systems will be restored with the next mirror pulse of unstable.

I'm sorry for the inconveniences,

Drew Parsons