Debian & ATI Radeon X300 don't mix?

Title: Debian & ATI Radeon X300 don't mix?

Hi,

Now that my NIC is working, it's time that I bring up the next issue with my new PC: the ATI video card.    When I bought this PC, I had SuSE on my mind (which is what I used to use on my old PC and my laptop), but I started to like using Debian from work.  With that said, I did not have compatiblity issues in my head while I was picking out components for my PC so I chose the Radeon (I didn't need 512MB of the best 3D acceleration tha t money could buy; I just needed something cheap, but decent), because I know for a fact that fglrx drivers can be found for RH and SuSE on the ATI website and installed easily.  Sadly, that is not the case with Debian (even now, I'm just using the VESA driver at 800x600 res.).  After some googling, I found the following website with detailed instructions:

http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian/fglrx-installer.html

I followed the steps and everything went smoothly without any sort of errors.  When I rebooted, my login screen was in the 1024x768 resoultion that I wanted.  *hooray!*  But would hang/freeze while loading GNOME :(

To be honest, I don’t' really care whether the ATI card gets interfaced properly, I just want 1024x768 resolution since I use it only for work (mostly coding) and not play.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can achieve that?

Thanks,
-Glen

Glen Yu,  B.Eng | 416-739-4861 | glen.yu@ec.gc.ca