Re: Sid: Really strange network address stuff

Curt Howland wrote:

> I have no idea where this 169.254.185.184 is coming from. Until
> 2.6.17, the DHCP server address of 192.168.1.16 was all that ever
> showed up.
>
> The 192.168.1.1 gateway and WAP show up just fine in the arp cache,
> routing still seems to work just fine.

Greetings:

I'm seeing this same type of behavior on a laptop.  It seems to be a
cosmetic problem with ifconfig, in that it would not be possible for me
to use autoconfig addresses on the network - they are specifically
dropped by the firewall.  Tcpdump confirms that the packets leaving my
computer have the addresses that they should.  Additionally, an ifdown
followed by an ifup on the interface causes ifconfig to start showing
the correct address.

My guess is that is has to do with the way that I'm configuring my
networking.  I'm using the network hotplug from ifplugd to configure
everything, because as a laptop with both wired and wireless
connections, it is rarely plugged into the same network twice.  From
looking at the startup logs, I think that something other than ifplugd
is configuring the interfaces first, very early in the boot process.  It
doesn't have any configuration information, so it winds up using
autoconfig.  After all of the hotplug stuff starts, ifplugd comes along
and reconfigures them to do dhcp, and the interfaces that are plugged in
get reconfigured for dhcp.  Whatever information ifconfig is looking at
is the original, out-of-date configuration information, but the
interface is using the right information.

I'm sure that this represents a bug somewhere, but I haven't spent the
time tracking it down to a specific package.  It might not even be a
specific package, but the interaction between two otherwise healthy
packages.  In any event, when I get some free time I intend to hunt it down.

Good luck.

Scott Reese