Re: How to check ink level on HP Deskjet 5500

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:20:19 -0700
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> CORRECTION: I just found hp-toolbox, which has a 'Supplies' tab showing
> the installed cartridges and should have the ink levels.  But it does

There's also hp-levels, but on this printer (Photosmart 1218), it tells
me I have approximately 0% of ink. I *hope* I have more than that.
Actually, the other utility I tried (hp-info) gave a lot of detailed
info about the printer, and tells me that the tri-color cartridge is
running low on ink, which I believe, based on prior teting (photos and
the CUPS printer test page, which prints all nice colors save for
cyan). Previously, I printed a nice color picture taken from Picn*x 15,
very nice quality, even given that the printer was low on ink (used
gimp).

But after installing hplip from the etch repositories (there were
issues with the source tarball, so I deleted that install) and running
the toolbox tells me that there are no supported printers. It asks me
to run the CUPS administrator, which I did, only to find out that
"foomatic-rip" is missing! And it was *just there*!

fox@m206-157:~$ locate foomatic-rip
/usr/bin/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/ppr/interfaces/foomatic-rip
/usr/lib/ppr/lib/foomatic-rip
/usr/share/man/man1/foomatic-rip.1.gz

rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 209590 2006-07-12 17:21 /usr/bin/foomatic-rip
ls: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2006-07-29
21:19 /usr/lib/ppr/interfaces/foomatic-rip -> ../../../bin/foomatic-rip
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2006-07-29
21:19 /usr/lib/ppr/lib/foomatic-rip -> ../../../bin/foomatic-rip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3063 2006-07-12
17:21 /usr/share/man/man1/foomatic-rip.1.gz

OK, so it's missing in 3 out of 4 places. Is it safe to simply copy the
file (or symlink it) from /usr/bin to /usr/lib/cups/filter?

I can't (easily) tell offhand what made the file go away. ;(

Also, the cups administrator is tending to freeze midway through the
setup :(.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.