Built-In Wireless support

I tried the new Ubuntu 6.06 on my laptop and it was
able to detect and install the Linksys Realtek 8180
drivers for my wireless b card right off the bat.
Despite a well polished Gnome Desktop, I still
preferred Debian and decided to use Debian Etch since
the release is only a few months away (I hope).
Obviously, any proprietary drivers are not included
with Debian, but I am curious as to how Ubuntu was
able to do that?  I use ndiswrapper to install the
drivers I download from Realtek's website for my
wireless card in Debian, but is there a way to create
a custom kernel with support/modules for most of the
wireless cards out there, even if it non-free?  I'm
pretty clueless when it comes to the Linux kernel side
of GNU/Linux so please correct me if I don't know what
I'm talking about.