Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 08:10:48PM -0400, Ishwar Rattan wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Seth Goodman wrote:
>
> >desire to learn, and some are here to teach as well.  I'm also saying
> >that most non-technical computer users are not capable of learning
> >Debian, as it exists today.  While some may disagree, I consider that a
> >problem.
>
> Your words of wisdom have been noted. Now???? Stick with windoz and stay
> happy forever.

The question is whether you do your learning up front, or later.
With Debian, it's up front.  With Windows, it's later.  Not the Windows
installation is easier than Debian's -- it isn't.  But the store you buy
the computer at usually installs it for you.

But Windows makes the learning hard, so you learn not even to try to
learn.  Then, when your system goes down, you are clueless and have to
call in the expert.  If you are lucky, the computer store that
preinstalled WIndows for you will still be in business.

I have had running Linux systems for a very long time now.
But when the Windows on one system failed for the second time, it became
uninstallable.  If I hadn't had Linux, I might have ended up buying a
new machine.

-- hendrik