help with upgrade from woody to sarge...

Hi,

I have upgraded from woody to sarge and after a very long list of packages being installed, my system is a mess:

Right after the upgrade, I launched X and kdm (I had kdm and kde working fine prior to the upgrade) and at log in, it tried to launch gnome, and it could not create a desktop. I managed to log out. Then I restarted the system and found that it could not boot again. The computer is stuck at lilo (it only prints out the first two letters: "LI") and then it hungs.

I don't have any important stuff on it so I can re-format the HD and do a clean install. However, if there's something else I can do that would not take all that time, I would like to try it.

But first, what can I do to make it bootable again? or at least boot from a cd?

Thanks,

Mario Flores
marioflores@verizon.net