alsa "hw" assignments, audacity doesn't know jack

2.6.16-2-686
I've had issues with the MIDIsport connector, where sometimes it shows
up and sometimes it doesn't; unfortunately, when it does show up, ALSA
calls it hw:0, and all the other device names change accordingly.
First, I'd like to know how to explicitly tell ALSA that hw:0 is to be
my soundcard and hw:1 the MIDI controller that does always show up, so
that if the MIDIsport shows up, it gets assigned to hw:2.  I have the
firmware loader for the midisport, so if it disappears again I can
reload it, but I'd like for that not to affect whether I can run audio
without manually changing jackd.

Also, now, when I start Audacity, it tells me "there was an error
initializing the audio I/O layer.....Error: Host error."  Even though
qjackctl is running and connected and showing alsa_pcm.  Under
Preferences, Audacity has nothing for playback/recording devices.  I
checked that the sample rates for jackd and Audacity are the same.
Audacity does not appear on qjackctl's connections dialog.

Please help!  My senior year's about to start and I need to be able to
compose and record!

Thanks.
-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."