Re: mysqld is being killed by the kernel (in the parlor with a candlestick)

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:31:38 -0400
Roan Horning <Roan@Horning.us> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's a snapshot from top. This is with mysql and apache2
> >> running, but not using the php4 app:
> >>
> >>    top - 11:54:58 up 366 days,  5:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.64,
> >> 0.67, 0.39
> >>    Tasks: 101 total,   1 running,  96 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4
> >> zombie Cpu(s):   0.7% user,   1.3% system,   0.0% nice,  98.0% idle
> >>    Mem:    240108k total,   235692k used,     4416k free,
> >> 3672k buffers Swap:   104416k total,   102804k used,     1612k
> >> free,    67228k cached
> >>
> >> Here's a snapshot from top while the php4 app is processing the
> >> upload.
> >>
> >>    top - 12:01:20 up 366 days,  5:38,  1 user,  load average: 1.03,
> >> 0.94, 0.59
> >>    Tasks:  94 total,   3 running,  87 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4
> >> zombie Cpu(s):  97.7% user,   2.3% system,   0.0% nice,   0.0% idle
> >>    Mem:    240108k total,   236860k used,     3248k free,
> >> 3276k buffers Swap:   104416k total,   104416k used,        0k
> >> free,    31444k cached ...
> >>     5020 www-data  20   0 21088  17m 4724 R 97.4  7.5   0:09.89
> >> apache2
> >>
> >> Has anyone run into this problem?  My head is sore from beating it
> >> against my desk.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >>

> > The problem of using all memory resources?  Sure.
> >
> > Adding more RAM is probably out of the question, as is adding a swap
> > *partition*.  So, create a swap *file*.  "man mkswap" will tell you
> > how.
> >
> > - --
> > Ron Johnson, Jr.
> > Jefferson LA  US
> Thanks, yes I should have prefaced that adding ram or larger swap
> partition is a route I was trying to avoid (it is a co-located
> server). Thanks for the tip on the mkswap, I will look into that.
>
> I was hoping there was a magic setting for mysql, that would let it
> run using less memory--especially since the databases I'm running are
> small.  It seems to spawn 4 or 5 child processes automatically.  I
> could live with only 1 or 2.  I managed to reduce Apache's memory
> footprint a little without an apparent loss of response.  Ahh well, I
> guess 256MB is a little on the small size these days, even for a
> non-gui server. Speaking of which, 240108k is a little odd- I wonder
> if I'm about to have some physical ram problems.
>
> Thanks again.
> Roan

Just to give you another possibly useful data point: I run a couple of hobby websites from my house on a Pentium I server with 80MB of memory and a comparable quantity of swap. Running Apache2 and mysql on Debian Sarge. I do my website building and testing on a 256MB machine running *a lot* of other stuff. I don't have these kind of memory problems on either machine. I did nothing to change the default use of memory by either mysql or Apache on either machine.

Clayton