Re: CUPS dependencies

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:43:33PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> In the first place, you must have USB printer support enabled in
> your kernel. I have this in my hand-rolled kernel. With stock
> kernels there may be some module that you have to specify in
> /etc/modules. This may cure your problems with CUPS as well as
> with lprng [NOTE: both are *fine* systems! I just happen to think
> that CUPS is bloated and horribly complicated, but this is just a
> matter of taste!]. You must then tell lprng (i.e.
> magicfilterconfig) that your printer is connected to /dev/usb/lp0:
> (I do not know what you should tell CUPS, because I do not use it).

This worked perfectly.  Thank you very much, Jan.

> Then select the hpijs "driver" (actually input filter) in
> magicfilterconfig. I have not tried this myself of course, not
> having had my hands on this type of machine, but I think it will
> work.

I used the laserjet driver, which is working fine.

Apparently lprng won't talk to hplip, so I don't get those features, but it
prints fine and that's what a printer is for, so I'm all set.

I have still gotten no answer to my bugs filed against LPRng or CUPS.  We'll
see what happens.
--
Carl Fink                                 carl@finknetwork.com
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.