Re: etch: KDE screensaver not working

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 14:09:41 +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on my debian/etch system with KDE - which I continiously aptitiude
> (dist-)upgrade every few days since pre-sarge,
> I have the problem that the screensaver does not kick-in. automatically.
>
> Via the KDE control center it is enabled (empty screen) and set to start
> after twenty minutes and lock after 120 seconds.
>
> How may I find out why it doesn't work on this system? What config files
> should I check?
> On similar other systems of mine it works as expected.

Things to check:

1) Does it work if you trigger it with "Lock Session"? Are there any

2) If you set the screensaver to start after a very short time, does it
   work? Are there any messages in ~/.xsession-errors after it should
   have started? Does it make any difference if you uncheck the "Require
   Password to Stop After ..." option?

3) Are there any processes running which generate fake X keypress or
   mouse events? It should be possible to check this with "xev". (We
   recently had a thread that involved this; search the archive for
   "xine" and "emacs" in the subject line.)

4) Finally, grasping at straws: Does it make a difference if you purge
   the "electricsheep" package? I don't really see how that should
   affect the "blank screen" screensaver, but the fact that you have
   this package installed is one difference between your setup and mine.

--
Regards,
          Florian