Any gammu or gnokii users out there? (was: Mobile phone management utility)

Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> writes:

> I have experimented with this, and have been able to use it to
> nevigate the filesystem and upload and download audio and image files,
> I still havn't found a way to upload/download the content of the phone
> book or backup text messages.

Then it is not what I'm looking for. I want in particular to download
telephone numbers and sms messages from the phone (Nokia 6100 and 6630)
to the PC.
Instead, I've been trying `gnokii' and `gammu'.

I installed `gnokii' with `apt-get', but can't make it work:
I plug the phone (a Nokia 6630) with its usb cable,
then start gnokii with:

 $ gnokii --getphonebook SM 1

, but:

 GNOKII Version 0.6.5
 Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
 Quitting.

As for gammu, in the configuration file `~/.gammurc'
I tried with many of all the connection modes listed at

 http://www.gammu.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gammu:Setting_configuration_file

, but the result was always the same:

 $ gammu --getmemory DC 1
 No response in specified timeout. Probably phone not connected.

. Any gammu or gnokii users out there who can provide help?

Thanks,
Rodolfo