Re: Corrupt JFS inode table?

On 08/03/2006 02:01 PM, Jeff Cleverley wrote:
Greetings,

We have a Dell 2850 running the 2.6.15-1 kernel and have created 2 JFS file systems from the non-boot internal drives. Both JFS file system disks come from the same raid group. The other day the system quit responding and we ended up having to power cycle the box. When it booted, everything looked OK, file systems marked clean, mount points correct, etc.

Shortly after the reboot we received a call from an engineer that said some of their data had no permissions or size. Another user reported that a file he opened did not contain the contents of the file that should have been there. That was for one file system. The other JFS file system appears to have come through cleanly. We ended up having to restore the entire first file system. Below is an example of what happened to the files that changed. The first one is the old file that changed after the reboot and the second one is the one that was restored.

----------  1 meg Debian-exim 0 Jul 19 13:47 cdsinit
-rwxr-xr-x  1 meg Debian-exim 17 Jul 19 13:47 cdsinit

As you can see, the ownership and time stamp stayed the same, but file permissions were wiped and the size was nulled out in the first one. We unmounted the file system and probably did about 6 fsck of the file system with various options and even rebooted the box again. Nothing changed. Not all data in the file system changed, just random directories and files.

We really need to find out what happened, otherwise we don't feel we can trust this server or file system with critical data. Any help debugging or diagnosing the problem will be greatly appreciated. If there is another list that might be more appropriate for this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Most likely, the following does not have anything to do with your problem because your kernel is 2.6.15, and your filesystems are jfs; however, you might be experiencing a serious bug affecting XFS partitions.