apt-get fails through broken proxy

I run a Debian derivative on a portable memory stick
and I have to connect through an ISA proxy server
(both http and ftp).

The proxy is broken and misconfigured so it won't
download any .gz files, hence I can't apt-get.
I have reported the case and the possible solution to
system administrator, who is happily ignoring it, so I
have to live with that.

I can download .deb files so I can install individual
packages, but I can't update/upgrade.

I just wonder if anyone has a possible workaround on
my end, before giving up.

Thanks

Ottavio Caruso
--