Message: codec_write 1: semaphore is not ready

Greetings:

I'm running Sarge on an IBM R40 laptop.

I'm getting the following message constantly repeated in /var/log/messages:

Aug 31 22:23:23 localhost kernel: codec_write 1: semaphore is not ready for
register 0x54
Aug 31 22:23:23 localhost kernel: codec_semaphore: semaphore is not ready
[0x1][0x700304]

A while back I had cured this problem by adding snd-intel8x0m to
my /etc/hotplug/blacklist file. I have a softmodem (I use a PCMCIA card
instead since the softmodem driver was buggy) and was told that hotplugging
was loading the driver for the intel8x0 softmodem, and that was interfering
with my soundcard.

Worked once. Now it's happening again. I was setting up pmount, checked
messages and there it was again.

I'm running OSS for sound, though have been contemplating switching to alsa.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem and get rid of this message?

-- Elmer E. Dow