Re: Is KDE difficult to use?

JerryKwok wrote:
I installed ubuntu 5.10 before,and that's my first linux experience.I just feel
gnome a little slow(much slower than on my windowsxp ).Now I'm gonna try
the debian and KDE.So,is KDE similar to gnome?Is it faster?Is it easier to use?

gnome and kde are both slow (compared to other window managers) on 'slower' hardware. They have more features than XP, and I guess that's the reason why they might appear slower. I actually don't think that they *are* much slower than XP, but M$ makes a good job at eye candy and tries to look fast. Things like sending a big pdf-job over the network or opening an office document are (much) faster on my debian.

On starting kde for the first time you'll see a slidebar
slow processor  <-->  more effects (or similar).

I always go for slow processor, since I don't like animated pop up stuff.

I guess that kde is more intuitive for former windows users than gnome.

If you think that kde is to slow on your machine you could try xfce4 or icewm (both and many more ship with debian). They have less features, but are faster.

Debian makes it easy to try different Desktops/Window managers and taking your pick.

NB: Your firefox, openoffice etc. don't mind the window manager you use to start them...

Johannes