Build process ignores apt-buid configuration

Hi.  I'd like to "optimize" certain packages specifically for my system
(It's a Pentium 3 system; though old, I'd like to recompile some
packages for i686 to improve performance).  I was looking into
apt-build, but I tested it on libxine1 and it doesn't seem to use the
optimizations that I had configured it for.  This is my config:

build-dir = /var/cache/apt-build/build
repository-dir = /var/cache/apt-build/repository
Olevel = -O3
mtune = -mtune=pentium3
options = " "
make_options = " "

and this is what I get when gcc runs:

/bin/sh ../libtool-nofpic --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -mtune=pentiumpro
-O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -falign-functions=4 -falign-loops=4
-falign-jumps=4  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fexpensive-optimizations
-fschedule-insns2 -fno-strict-aliasing -ffast-math -finline-functions
-Wall -Wnested-externs -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts
-Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE  -g   -o libxineposix.la

Is there something that I'm overlooking?  I'm fairly new to Debian so
I'm sure there's something that I don't understand, but if anyone has
any pointers, I'd really appreciate it!  Thanks.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque