Re: Xinerama issuse after upgrade to version 7

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:45:59AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and if it needs
> reporting someplace.
>
> I've been running Xinerama on a Matrox G550 for a few years.  With
> this last xorg upgrade from 6.8.2 to 7.0.0 there were a few odd
> things.
>
> My card has two outputs -- one VGA and one DVI.  When I boot the VGA
> is the main display (the DVI display is off until I start X).
>
> After upgrading to 7, now when I startx the DVI display seems like the
> "main" display, in that's where my window manager starts.  I could not
> correct this in xorg.conf, and had to physically swap my cables to get
> xinerama to work correctly.  Now my right hand monitor is the monitor
> used when not running X, which is not really what I want.
>
> I tried a bunch of different configurations but could not get it back
> to how it used to be, with the left monitor being connected to the
> VGA port and used as the main monitor for both console mode and when
> X was running.
>

> The other problem is after a reboot only one monitor starts.  The DVI
> interface monitor stays in power save mode when X starts.  But, I've
> found a trick to get it to start:
>
> This is is my layout:
>
>     Section "ServerLayout"
>             Identifier      "Default Layout"
>             Option          "Xinerama"      "on"
>             Screen  0       "LeftScreen" 0 0
>             Screen  1       "RightScreen" RightOf "LeftScreen"
>             InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
>             InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
>     EndSection
>
> The only way I've been able to get both monitors to start is to
> comment out Xinerama and my "right" screen.  Then the left monitor
> (the DVI connected one) will come out of dpms mode.  That is:
>
>     Section "ServerLayout"
>             Identifier      "Default Layout"
>             #Option          "Xinerama"      "on"
>             Screen  0       "LeftScreen" 0 0
>             #Screen  1       "RightScreen" RightOf "LeftScreen"
>             InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
>             InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
>     EndSection
>
> Then I exit X and remove the comments then I can restart X and then
> both monitors will start.
>
> Anyone else having problems with getting Xinerama started or with the
> left/right monitor configuration?
>

> Here's more detail on my config:
>

> #-------- Video Card-------------
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Matrox G550[0]"
>         Driver          "mga"
>         Screen          0
>         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>         Option          "AGPMode"               "4"
>         Option          "HWcursor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Matrox G550[1]"
>         Driver          "mga"
>         Screen          1
>         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>         Option          "AGPMode"               "4"
>         Option          "HWcursor"
> EndSection
>
> #--------- Monitors -------------

> [...]

Hi,

I used to have the same problem with my MGA G550 when I first switched
to Xorg 6.9 (same as 7.0 but monolithic).

It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly what I did :(

The Screen 0 in the ServerLayout section seems to be somehow
"hardwired" to the DVI-output and becomes the "main" monitor in X.
Unfortunately I don't remember how I got the DVI-output to be the main
screen also when I start this box.

Anyway, right now I have my flat panel monitor connected to the
DVI-output (it works as the main monitor both in console and in X)
and my projector connected to the VGA-output as a second monitor.

One thing I have, is the Matrox proprietary driver from
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm

I have version 4.3. The latest seems to be 4.4.

It's not really a big hassle to install. Just go to the
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ and move the original
mga_drv.so to mga_drv.so.orig

Then untar the tarball to /tmp and copy the
/tmp/matrox_driver-x86_32-4.4.0/xserver/7.0.0/* to
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

If it doesn't work, just remove the four files and rename the original.

You can also take a look at the discussion I had in xorg-list back then:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-September/009812.html

HTH
Simo
--