Re: apt-get source question

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 03:10, Pollywog wrote:

>[...]
> I want to get a source package from the "testing" release, not from
> "stable", so I did this:
>
> apt-get -t testing source <packagename>
>
> It does not seem to work.  Is there a way to do this without temporarily
> modifying the sources.list in order to get the desired sources?

I don't think so; AFAIK you must add the testing source repositories to
sources.list, and do apt-get update; then your command should work.

The update tells apt what packages are available in each repository in
sources.list.

If you want to keep the testing repositories, set up pinning so you have
stable as default (although most say mixing distributions is not a good
idea), otherwise remove them from sources.list and update again when you are
done.

Luck,

John