Stuck with dpkg: can neither remove nor reinstall a package

Something went terribly wrong while trying to install a debain package called gtkwifi. Now I'm unable to reinstall the package or force its removal. And using apt-get -f install has not worked either. When trying to reinstall via dpk it keeps complaining: "The package gtkwifi needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it. The deb is in my home directory. Using the --force-all option (for reinstall and removal) didn't help either.

What does one do when stuck like this? I'm unable to update the rest of the system because of this too.

Nick