Re: Question about bzip2 and bzip2recover and tar

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:05:26PM -0400, Larry Irwin wrote:
> If you can successfully extract each bz2 file, then you should be able to
> cat the results sequentially into a tar file or stream and then extract....
> If this listing script works, you should be OK...
> for i in *.bz2
> do
>  cat $i | bunzip2  || {
>    echo "Error. Exiting."
>    exit 1
>  }
> done | tar tvf -
> Later,
> Larry Irwin

Thanks.
I didn't use your script, but I was able to unzip all but one of the files.
File 3029, of the 4282 files, had unrecoverable errors.
All the others were turned into:
rec0nnnncarols051011x.tbz
I concatenated these into file xxx.tar and ran a extract.
It worked, mostly. But it died at the place where there was a missing
piece. I think I need some kind of filler that allows tar to get
past the glitch and keep going. Or maybe I just have to be
satisfied with only 3/4 recovery.

Are there any known approaches that recover the data following the
bad spot?