Re: Installation problems

Stephen Cormier wrote:
> You can use "apt-cache search linux-image smp" without the quotes and it
> should show you the available smp kernels to install I'm sure there is a
> way to search this using aptitude but I never have used it. Once you find

aptitude search 'linux-image smp'

> a suitable one then "aptitude install linux-image-????-smp" would install
> it from the command line using aptitude then of course reboot and choose
> the newly installed kernel from the list presented by Grub/LILO depending
> on which you are using. BTW which image did you use to install a 32 bit or
> 64 bit one or does your chip(s) support 64bits.

If you want to use version which is not available in binary form in debian,
then you can install linux-source package (again -- aptitude search
linux-source to see what's available). That will dump you patched tarball
of linux sources into /usr/src. Install kernel-package and you will find
more instructions in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz. Briefly it
means:

1) Install all required packages (you will find a list in that README, yes,
you want initramfs for kernels newer than 2.6.16, and yes you want
fakeroot).
2) and then (as normal user)

cd /usr/src
tar xvjf linux-2.6.17.tar.bz2 # or however the tarball is called
cd linux-2.6.17
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config # to get your current configuration
make menuconfig # to change configuration -- or just let it be for now
make-kpkg --revision custom.1 --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image
cd ..
ls linux-image*.deb # that's your new shiny package of Linux kernel
su -c 'dpkg -i linux-image*.deb' # to install it

Does it work?

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

We can tell our level of faith in what God wants to do for us by
our level of enthusiasm for what we want God to do for other.
   -- Dave Schmelzer