dpkg errors

How to cope with the following repeating errors from
#aptitude upgrade (i386 debian etch)
?

I must admit that, following a little-cared update/upgrade some time ago I
have downloaded many more packages than I need., like a very long list of X
managers. Stopping them by renaming the soft link in the runlevel does also
stop updating/upgrading them?

thank you
francesco pietra

dpkg: error processing usrp (--configure):
Setting up ccs (1.02.00-8) ...
Starting cluster configuration system: Failed to connect to cluster manager.
Hint: Magma plugins are not in the right spot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript ccs, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing ccs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gulm:
 gulm depends on ccs (>> 1.02.00); however:
  Package ccs is not configured yet.
 gulm depends on ccs (<< 1.02.01); however:
  Package ccs is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gulm (--configure):
 usrp
 ccs
 gulm