Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2006 #1633

>From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
>Subject:  etch installer on dialup line?
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:54:04 -0500
>
>Hi,
>
>I downloaded the latest business-card image of d-i and tried to install
>sid with it.
>
>Appears not possible on a dialup line: my only access is an external
>robotics modem that works superbly.
>
>D-i keeps looking for a network presence.
>
>Has anybody installed on a dialup line?

A better solution would be to use jigdo-lite to download a set of CD or
DVD images, and install from them.  Jidgo can complete the task, even if
it takes multiple sessions and even if communications are interrupted.

If you need a set of CD images and do not wish to keep running back and
forth to the machine to start jigdo downloading each of the (now 18)
images (very inconvenient if you are downloading overnight and wish also
to sleep), a neat trick is to download DVD images instead, of which there
are only three.  Then, in a single, brief session, you can mount each of
the DVD images as a source and have jigdo create CD images from them.

RLH